Tuesday, June 23, 2009

SRJ interlude

Titles.

I think I'm pretty good at them.

Sometimes they come easy. Sometimes not so much. While I can't remember this project being titled anything but Straight Razor Jazz and maybe Denmark, I found an old email where I listed some possibilities pre-SRJ:

A DECENT DEAD MAN
HOTEL SHADOW
DENMARK
(Humphery Denmark, friends call him Den. Now in the script as Abraham Denmark)
SHADOW MAN
NIGHTFALL HOTEL
MURDERING A DECENT MAN
MURDER AT THE NIGHTSHADE HOTEL
GENERIC LOCAL LOCATION NAME

Kind of old school, but snoozers, right?

This is a quote from an email to SS from me.


"I don't see doing a ton of drafts on this. I think it'll be important to write fast and keep a certain energy in the script, think Jazz and not math."

How appropos. Sometimes they're right in front of you.


We debated about keeping the word "Jazz" in the title. You know, cuz, people might think it's a style of music and this would lead to vertigo or some shit. But SS came up with a winner in how to incorporate "jazz" into a whole new meaning in the script. F'in brilliant. And now when people ask AM our savvy producer about what it means, he's got a nice zinger.

And people go "ahhhh...."

Hooked.

xoxo
DSH

No comments:

Post a Comment